The first two weeks of breastfeeding are critical. In order to get a strong start to breastfeeding, you must know exactly what to do before the baby arrives.
The breastfeeding choices you make in the first two weeks lay the foundation for how much milk you will make for the entire time you breastfeed!
If you don’t make the right choices in the first two weeks, you may find yourself with an insufficient milk supply, a baby who isn’t gaining weight, or significant nipple damage.
Ideally, nurses, lactation consultants, and pediatricians will guide you along the path of the first two weeks, but more often than not this assistance is less than ideal and too late.
In this program, you will be guided step-by-step through:
- How to get a comfortable latch and what to do if you can’t get a comfortable latch (including how to manage nipple and breast pain)
- How to know baby is getting enough and what to do if baby isn’t getting enough (including how to strategically supplement without ruining breastfeeding)
- How to involve your partner, even when he/she can’t breastfeed for you (and how to teach him/her to give a bottle!)
- What to do in the early months of breastfeeding to prepare for your return to work
- How to know what kind of milk supply you have (too much, too little, or just right) and what your milk supply means for how you breastfeed
- Strategies to incorporate breastfeeding into your everyday life as you gain the confidence to leave the house, breastfeed in public, and establish a new routine
- How to take good care of yourself in the midst of one of the hardest and most rewarding journeys you will ever experience: breastfeeding.
- The BB Journals
- Setting and Holding Boundaries FREE PREVIEW
- BF Prep 1: Congratulations! You're having a person! (4 mins) FREE PREVIEW
- BF Prep #2: Benefits, Shopping List & Birth Info (14 min)
- BF Prep #3: How Babies Work (13 mins)
- BF Prep # 4: The Boob Rules (13 minutes)
- BF Prep #5: Is Breastfeeding Effective? Days 1-4 (17 mins)
- BF Prep #6: Is breastfeeding effective? Days 4-14 (14 minutes)
- BF Prep #7: The Latch (15 mins)
- BF Prep #8: Close Up on the Deep Latch ( 5 mins) FREE PREVIEW
- BF Prep #9: Crisis, Stability, New Normal (21 min)
- BF Prep #10 The Partner and the Public. (5 min)
- Build Your Support Team! FREE PREVIEW
- Augmentation Plan
- Flat/Inverted Nipples
- History of Anxiety/Depression
- The Infertility Plan
- Little to No Breast Growth
- "Old Mom" Plan
- Very Large Breasts
- First Time Parents FREE PREVIEW
- Cesarean Birth
- When baby needs intensive care
- Not your first baby: When you'd had breastfeeding trouble in the past. FREE PREVIEW
- Breast Reduction
- Gestational Diabetes
About the instructor
Katie Madden has been a Registered Nurse since 2004 and a IBCLC since 2009. She is the founder of BalancedBreastfeeding.com, an online platform of safe, realistic, and kind breastfeeding support. Katie direct the lactation program at The Birth Center in Wilmington, DE where she and the colleagues, whom she trained in the Balanced Breastfeeding Method, see a heavy load of high complexity patients in their outpatient clinic.